The viral growth of the Occupy Movement, and the public support of it, is testament to the tremendous dissatisfaction with the inequities and abuses of global capitalism. Meta-corporations and large financial institutions have corrupted democracy in the United States and many other countries. In response, a wide spectrum of progressive forces are struggling to rescue our political democracy; however, reform is not enough.
Instead the demand for economic democracy that economically empowers people and communities has the potential to unite Americans around a common cause that replaces the tyranny of corporate power.
Humanity needs a clear, compelling vision of an equitable, sustainable economy that brings a high quality of life for everyone – an economy by, for and of the people.
We invite concerned individuals and organizations to come together to envision the democratic and equitable economic system needed to replace capitalism, and plan the necessary steps to materialize it.
• Formulate the guiding values and principles for economic democracy.
• Envision how various economic democracy initiatives such as local economies, cooperatives, a wealth cap, guaranteed basic necessities, sustainable development and grassroots planning can be integrated and interconnected in a national initiative.
• Create a solidarity network to project our common vision of the equitable economy we seek.
• Decide action agenda to put economic democracy into practice locally and regionally.
• Affirm a universal ecological perspective that connects us with one another and with the rest of creation.
CONFERENCE THEME: “Economic Democracy in Vision and Action.”
CONFERENCE LOCATION: Madison College in Madison, Wisconsin
CONFERENCE PROGRAMS: A mix of panel discussions, workshops, open-source meetings, and plenary sessions; with evening keynote talks and cultural programs; also social mixing activities.
'Proxecto Caracol' (Snail Project) is a travelling project developing bioconstruction and sustainability solutions.
The Global Transition to a New Economy maps innovative projects that challenge business as usual and contribute to the systemic change to our economy that we urgently require. Together, these projects create a world that prioritizes human wellbeing, within environmental limits.